There are SO MANY good books to read during the holidays. One of my favorite things each year is unpacking some of holiday books that have been hidden away during the warmer months.
1. Sarah Morton's Day This book tells the story of Sarah Morton as she goes throughout getting dressed, her chores, and other aspects of daily life.
2.Samuel Eaton's Day Similar to Sarah Morton's Day, this book tells the story of Samuel Eaton, a pilgrim boy in 1627. Samuel is old enough to help with the difficult task of the rye harvest.
3. Squanto, Friend of Pilgrims This book is geared towards slightly older children or younger kids on a more mature reading (listening) level.
3.A Thanksgiving Turkey Join the hunt for an old tom turkey as a grandfather and grandson determine to find a bird for Thanksgiving.
4. Cranberry Thanksgiving Ahhh, Mr. Whiskers and Grandmother. The characters of Cranberryport are so likeable. Be sure to make the recipe on the back! (If you ever find any of this series at a book sale, be sure to grab it up!)
5.Sharing the Bread I love the syncopation as we read through this book. This story tells how a family works together to create a feast for Thanksgiving.
7. The Pilgrims of Plimouth This picture book is fascinating for all ages!
8. The Thanksgiving Story Written by the same person who wrote The Courage of Sarah Noble, The 4th of July Story, The Columbus Story and other amazing living books, this book tells the story of a brother and sister aboard the Mayflower and their first year in America.
9. North American Indians Another fascinating picture book!
10. Draw and Write Through History: Pilgrims, Patriots and Pirates This isn't necessarily a living book, but an awesome resource for your read alouds. It's helpful for keeping tiny hands busy.